About Me

My photo
i am a stay-at-home mom living, learning and loving by the bay!I love to take pictures. I love to crochet cozy things for my family and friends.

September 26, 2010

autumn corn necklace





Goose loves autumn corn.  She loves to grind up the kernels in her mortar and pestle. 
She loves to make potions with her magic corn.
I thougtht we could do something a little more decorative with it.
So we soaked the kernels overnight.
Then we used a needle and embroidery floss to string our "beads" into a necklace.
Can you see the garnet, carnelian and amber?
This is definitely an adult supervised project.  And I recomment using a thimble!
I love these necklaces!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, how beautiful! Do they have any pointy edges to scratch your neck? What variety of corn are they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful! It definitely looks like something my daughter would enjoy making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, Lisa, I had to come see your necklaces. They are really beautiful. Is it hard to push the needle through? What age is your child? I'll mention these on Acorn Pies. Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Amanda, no, there are no pointy edges. We used indian corn from a local farm. Beth, thank you! It can be hard to push the needle through, especially if you don't soak the kernels long enough. My daughter is 10, but I think an 8 yr old could do this.
    have a great week
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering...so soak the corn overnight. My oldest will totally love this project. The result is just beautiful and I love garnet, carnelian, and amber. My four year old has a necklace that a friend made out of those stones.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful. I really want to try this with the big kids. Oh, who am I kidding. I really want to try this myself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just wondering what to do with my flint corn wreath. It's time for it to come down, but I didn't want to waste the pretty little kernels. I think this is the perfect answer. Thanks for sharing! (I found you via the Crafty Crow, btw)

    ReplyDelete