About Me

My photo
i am a stay-at-home mom living, learning and loving by the bay!I love to take pictures. I love to crochet cozy things for my family and friends.

March 1, 2011

coyote hills


Binky is studying Native Americans this year so we
began our study at the 2,000 year old shellmound site of the Tuibun Ohlone tribe.
This site is located in Fremont, California and is only about 30 minutes from our house.
It is a very beautiful place!



The first shelter is a sweathouse!
Goose should not be inside!  These were for men and boys only!



This is the skeleton of an Ohlone home.  Since it is partially underground, it is much larger
than it looks.  This is where Binky spent most of his time here!



There was also a shade shelter.  This is where most of the day was spent by the women, cooking and such.
And under it was an Ohlone ancestor, but she had to go right after we arrived!  Bummer!
The Ohlone people had a very rich environment.
They ate shellfish, salmon, blackfish, berries, and hunted fowl and elk.




Goose made this necklace after making a pinenut bead.



The marshes are swarming with birds.
Ducks, geese, hawks, heron.
I asked Binky if he could live in that shelter he spent so much time in and he said yes!

2 comments:

  1. I love that you have that so close to where you live. I want to move down there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to get in touch with nature. I would love to live in a ohlone home for a while to have that peace and quiet and get away from it all for a while.

    ReplyDelete